Monday, October 20, 2008

And the Real Sarah Palin Comes Out

ThinkProgress.org is reporting that in an interview with CBN, Palin is in favor of the Federal Marriage Amendment, which is inconsistent with McCain's views.

Palin: [I]n my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that’s where we would go because I don’t support gay marriage. I’m not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can’t do, should and should not do.

Watch the video here.

According to ABCnews.com, McCain told the Washington Blade, a gay newspaper, that he continues to oppose such an amendment today because he thinks the definition of marriage should be a state matter and not one for the federal government "as long as no state is forced to adopt some other state's standard."

Palin's position also differs from what she told Katie Couric last month. When Palin was asked why she considered Roe v. Wade a bad decision, Palin said she believed states and not the federal government should decide the legality of the issue. She goes on to say, "I'm in that sense, a federalist, where I believe that states should have more say in the laws of their lands and individual areas. And I believe that individual states can best handle what the people within the different constituencies in the 50 states would like to see their will ushered in an issue like that."

How will the McCain/Palin camp spin this? Maybe Palin got confused on the definition of a federalist.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter